Jones & Keller attorneys in the sports and entertainment practice group have extensive experience in a wide variety of sports and entertainment legal matters and transactions, including the negotiation, drafting and consummation of the purchase of a Major League Baseball team, player contracts, commercial endorsement contracts, personal appearance agreements and the licensing of publicity rights for current and former professional athletes, advice and counsel to management firms and agents regarding scope of permissible activities and the drafting and consummation of player-agent agreements.
Our client representation includes media and entertainment production and broadcast companies, a Major League Baseball team, and former and current members of the PGA Tour, Major League Baseball and The National Football League in connection with player career opportunities as well as investment, appearance and endorsement agreements.
We also advise high school and college athletes regarding NCAA eligibility matters, including NCAA Division and conference transfer options. We have also advised baseball prospect clients regarding the MLB First Year Player Draft issues in the capacity of an advisor under NCAA regulations.
Our entertainment practice includes the negotiation and drafting of recording, production, publishing, royalty, licensing, management, agency, merchandising, distribution and sponsorship agreements for emerging artists and independent labels; band partnership agreements; concert promotion & venue agreements; and mechanical, synchronization and public performance agreements. We have also represented media and entertainment companies in the development, production and licensing of branded news, sports and entertainment programs across multiple platforms, and companies and entertainment professionals on broadcast and distribution agreements, film and television production agreements, film financing agreements, actor’s agreements, model releases, photographer agreements, and free-lance work-for-hire agreements.
Significant transactions include:
- Represented the buyers of a Major League Baseball Club expansion team, coordinating negotiations among community leaders, government and baseball officials and financiers, and represented the owners in financing, establishing and organizing the club.
- Negotiation of various agreements with front office management of various Major League and Minor League Baseball organizations as well as The Office of The Commissioner of Major League Baseball and The Major League Baseball Players Association.
- Negotiation of contract terms between a client Coach and a Major League Baseball Team.
- Negotiation and drafting of contract terms between a client Manager and an Independent Minor League Baseball Organization.
- Represented a start-up news, sports and entertainment television production and streaming media company, creating all customer and vendor contracts, and negotiating, drafting and implementing agreements for studio architecture, design and construction, studio and mobile production, creative rights, content licensing, satellite, video, on-line and High Definition distribution, venue and performance agreements and sponsorship agreements. Negotiated, drafted and managed the implementation of agreements with song and screen stars, professional athletes, Major League Soccer, the Democratic National Committee, the Salt Lake City Olympics and Madison Square Garden.
- Negotiation and drafting of a commercial endorsement agreement between a PGA Tour Member and a real estate development entity for a mixed use golf course development.
- Negotiation and drafting of an agreement between a major software development company and a PGA Tour Member for the creation of an interactive computer game.
- Negotiation and drafting of the purchase of a fractional ownership interest in private aircraft for various PGA Tour Members and current and former members of the National Football League.
- Representation, negotiation and drafting of an agreement between a PGA Tour Member and a nationally recognized memorabilia vendor.
- Counsel to several PGA Tour Members regarding interpretation and dispute resolution involving various commercial endorsement agreements.
- Representation, negotiation and drafting of Partnership Agreement on behalf of former members of the National Football League regarding commercial endorsement and promotional obligations in connection with the formation of an investment venture.
- Provide advice and counsel to high school and college athletes in capacity of advisor regarding NCAA recruiting and transfer rules as well as MLB draft options.
- Advise, counsel and representation of baseball players regarding terms of MLB Uniform Player Contracts and terms of MLB-MLBPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.