A highly-experienced business attorney, Ron has particular experience in all aspects of real estate representation. Efficient navigation of complex situations makes Ron a trusted advisor. Finance transactions, disputes, construction, tax planning and implementing complex transactions involving real estate assets are typical projects. Ron helps his clients identify their goals, clarifies the process, and advises solutions.
His formative training began in a 100+ year Colorado construction family with stints behind the wheel barrows, jack hammers, picks, shovels and hammers.
- More than three decades of experience in all aspects of real estate law and finance.
- The sale, acquisition, leasing, subdivision, construction and development of vacant land, commercial, industrial and residential projects, office buildings, condominiums and conversions, single-family residential developments for lenders, developers, landowners, investors, business owners and banks are regular projects.
- Commercial leases, easements, construction agreements (including liability avoidance planning), property management contracts, agreements concerning surface use by oil and gas producers, land use, zoning and zoning change issues and disputes.
Business and Corporate (Transactions)
- Acquisition and sale of businesses (stock and asset transactions), capital financing transactions, corporate governance, negotiation and drafting of contracts and commercial agreements, and secured transactions.
- Representation of startup and existing ventures and the negotiation, structuring, drafting, implementation and financing of limited partnerships, limited liability companies, corporations and joint ventures.
- Negotiation and drafting of agreements relating to shareholders, executive employment (options, warrants and non-competition provisions), and strategic and succession planning.
- Development, licensing, disposition and protection of intellectual property rights in the technology industry and other industries.
- Negotiation, drafting, financing and closing of the purchase of a $250 million bundled multi-family portfolio followed by conversion to condominiums and resale at an estimate threefold increase in per door valuations.
- Debt restructure of an eight-figure New York Stock Exchange collateralized mortgage obligation (CMO) to settle litigation.
- Development and financing of a 2,000 acre, golf and destination hotel resort and spa with 1,700 dwelling units, commercial uses and special districts.
- Extensive representations in workouts, representing both lenders and borrowers.
- Real estate counsel for several Fortune 100 companies in acquisitions, development, land use approvals, and zoning disputes.
- Representation of a major religious organization on real estate matters, including restructuring ownership of a vast portfolio of significant real estate assets.
- Resolved an eight-figure trespass litigation by adjacent property developer for $0.00 liability and dismissal of claims with prejudice.
- Resolved a complex condemnation action brought by the Colorado Department of Transportation with payment of ten times the initial purchase offer.
- Represented property owners in subjacent and lateral support dispute, halting a $450 million development and negotiating a large settlement payment.
- Negotiation of ground leases for high rise office towers.
- Formation of numerous limited liability company, limited partnership, joint venture and partnerships, including tax structuring in the real estate context for large tax savings.
- Negotiation of licensing and marketing agreements with a Dow Industrial computer company for a game-changing computer design, its development and overseas manufacturing.
- Obtained substantial court-ordered modifications of a 90-year-old trust with extensive real estate holdings to allow material changes and relief not permitted in the original trust without so much as a hearing.
- Extensive liability avoidance planning and documentation for real estate projects, several of which resulted in dismissal of construction defects class actions.