Lawrence “Larry” Lee provides employers with the best practical and compliant solutions to difficult workplace issues. He helps his clients comply with state and federal employment laws in order to minimize potential liability to their businesses and operations. If an audit, agency action or lawsuit arises, Larry applies years of experience to defend his clients and their employment practices to the best resolution possible.
He represents employers on potential and actual claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, misclassification of workers or wages, workplace safety citations as well as employment contract issues. Further, Larry provides advice on hiring practices, decisions to discipline or terminate, proper pay procedures and OSHA and workplace safety issues.
If called upon, he assesses cases and counsels on best practices, updates employment policies and handbooks, and restrictive covenants for corporate clients. When management needs a straight-forward approach to managing workplace risks, Larry offers practical alternatives to meet their business objectives while providing protective measures for his clients.
As an experienced litigator, Larry has successfully tried employment lawsuits before juries, judges and arbitrators. He defends employers in federal and state courts as well as administrative proceedings against claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation as well as claims of breach of contract and alleged violations of federal and state wage laws asserted by former employees.
Larry is well-versed in representing clients in a variety of industries, including health care, retail, commercial and residential construction, commercial real estate, hospitality/ restaurant, tech industry, engineering, public entity, law firms and 501(c)(3)s.
Engage Larry Lee to Speak
Won a decision before the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a school district against an appeal made by a terminated school principal. This appeal emanated from a summary judgment victory Larry obtained in an employment lawsuit filed against the school district in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado.
- Served as lead counsel in a multi-week federal arbitration that resulted in a successful decision for the employer on claims of age discrimination and retaliation.
- Served as group counsel in a multi-plaintiff and class action lawsuit in a four week jury trial in the U.S. Eastern District Court of California on claims of race discrimination resulting in a favorable verdict.
- Defended a corporate employer in an EEOC-filed class action based on claims of pattern and practice of gender discrimination.
- Negotiated against the EEOC at the conciliation stage in a multi-claimant, pattern and practice charge based on claims of racial discrimination.
Before entering private practice Larry served as a senior employment attorney in employment and litigation for the Colorado Attorney General’s Office, and the Adams County and Arvada City Attorney’s offices in Colorado specializing in defending employment discrimination lawsuits and advising public officials on workplace matters.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- “Hottest Workplace Issues in 2021/2022,” Elevating the Member Experience: 2021 Downtown Fall Conference for the Club of America, Colorado Chapter
- “Managing the Toxic ‘How Much Did You Make’ Interview Question,” Law Week Colorado, January 2020
- “DOL final rule on overtime pay goes into effect on Jan. 1, 2020,”, 2019
- “Ransomware and Local Governments. Do Not be Held Hostage”, By Larry Lee and Christopher Johnson, Municipal Lawyer, July/August 2019
- “Opioid Abuse in the Workplace: Not Just Another Day in Employers Paradise,” IMLA Newsletter, Summer 2017
- “What Does the Chipotle Decision Mean for Employee discipline for Certain Social Media Activity?” By Larry Lee and Bruce Anderson, Charter School Focus, 2016
- “Do’s and Don’ts of Hiring for Charter School Decision Makers,” Charter Focus, 2016
- “Do’s and Don’ts for Employers to Consider for the Holidays,” Colorado Brewers Guild’s Newsletter: Colorado State of Craft Beer, December 7, 2015
- “Writing on the Wall For Title VII,” By Doug Chartier, Larry Lee Quoted, Law Week Colorado, August 2015
- “Can you Light Up Your E-Cig While Working in a Cubicle?” MainStreet and MainStreet.com
- “Employment Law Boot Camp, Part I: Handling EEOC Litigation,” The Municipal Lawyer, Vol. 56, No. 2, By Larry Lee and Daniel Perkins, May/June 2015
- “Workplace Safety and OSHA,” Craft Brewer’s Guild, April 2015
- “Avoiding Harassment in the Workplace,” Craft Brewer’s Guild, January 2015
- “Employment Law Boot Camp, Part I: When the EEOC Comes Knocking,” The Municipal Lawyer, Vol. 56, No. 1
- “The Lingering Effects of Pre-Approval to the NFL and former Player’s Settlement,” Concussion Litigation Reporter, Vol. 3. No. 3, September 2014
- “The Family Medical Leave Act Diaspora: Evolving Challenges for Public Employers,” The Municipal Lawyer, Vol. 55, No. 3, July 2014
- Co-Author, “Hiring and Firing-a Dose of Caution for 2014,” The Municipal Lawyer, Vol. 55, No. 2, March/April 2014
- “Anti-Bullying Policies Urged,” Law Week Colorado, Corporate Counsel Insight, November 25, 2013
- “Midyear Update On The NLRB’s Offensive Against Nonunion Employers,” Law Week Colorado, May 20, 2013
- “Arbitration Agreements: High Court Opens Doors to Class-Action Waivers,” Law Week Colorado, May 30, 2011
- “The Supreme Court’s 2010 Upcoming Employment Law Docket,” The Municipal Lawyer, Vol. 51, No. 5, September/October 2010
- “NFL Faces Congressional Pressure on Player Head Injuries,” A.B.A. Labor and Employment Law Newsletter, Summer 2010, Volume 38, Number 4, at 11
- “Employers To Face Multi-Front Assault From Washington,” Law Week Colorado, May 31, 2010
- “Review of the Supreme Court’s Employment Law Rulings,” IMLA’s Municipal Lawyer, November/December 2009
- Co-Author, “Equal Protection Class-of-One Claims Rejected in Public Employment,” ABA Labor & Employment Law Newsletter, Summer 2008, Volume 36
- “Avoiding Workplace Free Speech Claims in the Upcoming Election,” IMLA’s Municipal Lawyer, September/October 2008
- “Dukes v. Wal-Mart: The Largest Employment Class Action,” ABA Labor & Employment Law Newsletter, Summer 2007, Volume 35
- Co-Author, “Ethical Obligations of Legal Counsel Regarding Ex Parte Communications in Employment Litigation,” IMLA’s Municipal Lawyer, May/June 2006
- “Employment Litigation and COVID-19 Claims”, with Ian Kalmanowitz for Strafford Publishing CLE, November 2020
- “Generational Differences in the Workplace: Confessions of a GenXer and a Millennial”, Employment Law Conference, Colorado Bar Association, October 2019
- “Employment Challenges: Prevention of Employment Liability,” Olson & Olson Insurance, 4th Quarter Employment Seminar, October 2019
- “Considerations and Best Practices for Hiring, Correcting and Firing,” Olson & Olson Insurance, 2nd Quarter Employment Seminar, April 2019
- “Me too, why it matters and you too should know,” panelist for ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting, Austin, Texas 2018
- “Best Workplace Filing Practices and Systems for Document and Evidentiary Preservation,” Denver 2018
- “Workplace Harassment, best practices for prevention,” CBA Women in Banking Conference, 2018
- “New Challenges for HR in 2018 Seminar,” Sports Authority Field, Denver 2018
- “The Dos and Don’ts of Terminating Employees During the Holiday Season,” December 2017
- “Management of Diversity/Inclusion in the Workplace,” Aurora, CO, 2017
- “Financial and Other Considerations Before Terminating an Employee,” Denver, 2017
- “Damages of Opioid Use in the Workplace,” Chicago 2017
- “Prescription Medication in the Workplace,” Denver Breakfast Briefing, Denver 2017
- “Denver’s Labor and Employment Law Update”, Sports Authority Field, Denver 2017
- “Recent FLSA Changes: Pay Now or Pay More Later – What You Can Do To Minimize Your Risk”, Marriott Denver, 2016
- “How Millennial Are You? Understanding Generational Differences For Workplace Success”, Denver Human Resources Academy, 2016
- “Best Practices in Hiring and Firing”, Denver 2016 Human Resources Academy, 2016
- “How Millennial Are You? Understanding Generational Differences For Workplace Success”, Denver, 2016
- “Denver One Day, Many Solutions Seminar” EEOC/CCRD Update, Denver 2016
- “Reasons Why to Update your Employee Handbooks and Policies in 2016″, IMLA Employment Law Webinar, 2016
- “Pay Me Right $ or Pay Me Later $$$”, Colorado League of Charter Schools, Broomfield, 2016
- “Getting Your House in Order: What You Need to Know to Excel as a New Lawyer,” 2016
- “Social Media Issues for Public Employers: First Amendment and Other Legal Considerations,” Denver Breakfast Briefing, 2015
- “Meet the EEOC.” IMLA Annual Conference – Las Vegas, Nevada 2015
- “Marijuana and E-Cigarettes and Other Smoky Things,” Denver 2015
- “Bullying in the Workplace,” Tennessee Municipal Attorney’s Association, 2015
- “Clearing the Air About Weeds in the Workplace: The Rocky Mountain Way” IMLA Webinar, 2014
- “Bullying in the Workplace: How to Detect, Prevent and Eliminate,” IMLA Employment Law Webinar, 2014
- “Considerations on Hiring and Firing,” IMLA Employment Law Webinar, 2014
- “Taking the Bully by the Horns: Understanding and Preventing Workplace Bullying,” 2014
- “Cross Examination of Adverse Expert Witness in Employment Lawsuits,” Mock Jury Trial – ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law Annual CLE Conference – Denver, Colorado 2008
- “Ethics for the Employment Lawyer in Advertising,” ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law, Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committee Midwinter Meeting -Tucson, Arizona 2008
- “Ex Parte Communications and Ethical Issues for Labor and Employment Counsel,” ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law, Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committee Midwinter Meeting – Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 2006