Dylan measures his accomplishments by the value and successful outcomes he creates for the clients he serves, including high-net-worth individuals, corporate executives, closely held business owners, and professionals. He counsels individuals and families throughout the United States and internationally with their tax, estate and private wealth planning needs, guiding them through the maze of laws and practical considerations, moving each client closer to achieving goals and resolving outstanding issues.
The true value in private wealth planning is twofold: mitigate taxes and manage legal and legacy concerns in complex family dynamics. Dylan focuses on designing plans that put the individual and families’ values and goals first. He gets to know each of his clients, putting their priorities in order and carrying out plans that preserve wealth through legal structures and innovative strategies, efficiently transfer property, and reduce the risk of tax consequences, family conflict and litigation.
Dylan advises clients on tax-advantaged entity structures including family limited partnerships and limited liability companies, dynasty trusts, trusts structured to hold inherited qualified plans such as IRAs and 401K, split interest trusts, grantor trusts, and life insurance trusts. Clients come to him for a myriad of business planning issues including choice of entity selection, maintenance and business succession planning. In addition, Dylan regularly represents family members, fiduciaries, and beneficiaries in resolving estate and trust-related disputes, including breach of fiduciary duty disputes and contested guardianships and conservatorships.
In working with Dylan, clients gain access to the full complement of attorneys at Jones & Keller in corporate, securities, employment and complex commercial litigation, and real estate disciplines, who are available to lend collaborative insights to solving complex legal matters.
Engage Dylan Metzner to Speak
- “Estate Planning with Directed Trusts under the Colorado Uniform Directed Trust Act,” Colorado Bar Association August 2019
- “Planning for Incapacity: An Often-Overlooked Aspect of Estate Planning,” Colorado Women’s Estate Planning Council, July 2019
- “Planning for Incapacity: An Often-Overlooked Aspect of Estate Planning,” BOK Financial Webinar, February 2019
- “Planning for International Clients with Real Property in Colorado,” Colorado Bar Association’s 38th Annual Estate Planning Retreat, June 2018
- “How Your Clients Can Benefit From the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act,” Mass Mutual Quarterly
Agency Meeting, February 2018
- “The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017- Implications for Individuals,” Bank of Oklahoma Financial RIA Trust Education Program, January 2018
- “Retirement Plans: Considerations in Estate Planning and Post-Mortem Administration,” Bank of Oklahoma Financial RIA Trust Education Program, May 2017
- “Deliberate Philanthropy: Charitable Planning Strategies Using Real Property,” Ryley Carlock & Applewhite, LifeSpark Cancer Resources, High Point Financial Group, LLC and Canyon T, April 2017
- “Alpha through Omega of Family Philanthropy,” Ryley Carlock & Applewhite and Whittier Trust, November 2016
- “Directed Trusts: Charles in Charge…But so is Buddy, Jaimie and Trust Company,” Colorado Bar Association, January 2016
- “Use it or Risk Losing it: Portability and Remarriage,” Stinson Leonard Street Estate Planning and Fiduciary Litigation Seminar, December 2015
- “Family Business Succession Strategies,” New York Life Educational Program, March 2015
- “Advanced Estate Planning Strategies for Business Owners,” New York Life Educational Program, January 2015
- “Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts and Discount Planning with Trusts,” Foxmoor Continuing Education, December 2014
- “Estate Planning 101,” Denver Financial Planners Association, June 2014
- “Charitable Gift Planning: Asking the Philanthropic Question,” National Advisor’s Trust Company Shareholder’s Conference, May 2014
- “The Use of Directed and Delegated Trusts: Understanding Fiduciary Responsibilities and Keeping Financial Advisors in the Mix,” Bank of Oklahoma Financial RIA Trust Education Program, April 2014
- “Exculpatory Clauses Revisited,” Colorado Bar Association Estate Planning Retreat, June 2013
- “The Financial Durable Power of Attorney: Defining the Agent’s Duties,” Colorado Bar Association Elder Law Retreat, August 2012
- Dylan is an active member of the Trust and Estate Section of the Colorado Bar Association and served on the committee that drafted C.R.S. § 15-16-801 et seq.– The Colorado Uniform Directed Trust Act.
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Estate Planning Council
- SafeHouse Denver, Board Member, June 2017 – Present